About 22 people from my church gathered at 6:00 p.m. tonight to assemble Crisis Care Kits to send to areas devastated by recent hurricanes.
Nazarene Compassionate Ministries told us what items to put inside 2-gallon ziploc bags to make one care kit. Each kit costs between $25-$30 [depending on store and brands].
- 1 medium-size bottle of shampoo
- 2 bath-size bars of soap
- 1 tube toothpaste [4 oz.]
- 3 toothbrushes [in original packaging]
- 1 box of Band-Aids [30 count or more]
- 1 fingernail clipper
- 1 sturdy hair comb
- 2 hand towels
- 4 pocket-size packages of tissues
- 1 Beanie Baby size stuffed toy
- WHAT! NO TEA on the list? Who decided what should go in the care kits?? ;-)
Six care kits are placed inside one banana box. [Thank you, Meijer Store for the boxes.]
All the items were placed on tables to assemble into ziploc bags. The instructions said not to add to the list or delete from it, so I couldn't add tea bags. ;-)
~ One completed box ready to go. ~
I'm not certain how many banana boxes were filled, but there were quite a few. God's blessings were prayed over them before our pastor took them to the drop off location. Jesus said in Matthew 25:40 "...whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me."
The group sitting outside chatting after we finished up. 65 degree fall temps sure felt good!